How do you usually prepare for a trip to Mexico? You pack in the clothes, your travel documents, your gadgets, medications, and if you are taking your car, you get it prepped as well. But let’s take a moment here and see what went missing. Maybe you forgot that you need travel medical insurance.
Strictly speaking, you don’t need to have medical insurance to travel to Mexico. But think about the alternative, you land in a foreign country with little to no knowledge of the local laws, medical infrastructure, have to endure a language barrier, and on top of that, suffer from an emergency medical situation.
Importance of Travel Medical Insurance in Mexico
Be it a big or small ailment, getting sick abroad can be a nightmare. While Mexico does have an excellent health infrastructure, you must know that comes at a cost. Medical insurance protects you from getting overwhelmed by medical expenses and can even ensure a safe passage back to your country for further treatments.
And if you think your existing insurance is good enough, you should be aware that you can only use Mexican government-acknowledged medical insurance to enjoy the relevant benefits. In most cases, your home medical insurance will not be valid in Mexico.
If you are worried about the high costs of insurance, rest assured. The best medical travel insurance can be availed at affordable rates and just for the duration of your trip.
You need to give basic details like duration, number of people, their age, Destination of the trip, and the coverage you need to get quotes for the insurance.
Do pay attention to the factors like:
- The coverage provided. Usually, medical insurance providers give you liability coverage. You can seek additional coverage for travel assistance, ambulance, medical evacuation, and more
- Look into the choice of hospitals provided. Some insurance providers will provide coverage only for certain hospitals and may not assist you with transfers to any other location of your choice
- Look for legal assistance and guidance in case of a medical emergency or accident situations
- The insurance provider should be able to give you 24/7 support and easy access to medical facilities
- Look into whether support is available in your preferred language as well
- Only choose providers who are genuine and have ratings above A. Work with government authorized and valid insurance providers only
- Look into the cancellation and reschedule policies in case of change in your trip plans
As a starting point of your insurance search, you can first inquire about your existing insurance provider to see if they have any tie-ups in Mexico or can extend their services there as well. For more options, you should browse for the best travel medical insurance via search portals and comparison sites. Get quotes and compare the terms from different insurance products to see if they fit your needs. Take due diligence and find authentic insurance providers with good review scores and customer ratings. For more assistance, contact our insurance experts today.