Mexico has got everything. From luxurious resorts and thrilling adventure sports to many culturally rich historic spots, you have everything you need to enjoy the perfect vacation. But are you sure you have everything planned well for your trip?
Let’s start with the documentation. When traveling to a foreign country, it is well implied that you get the legal necessities required to gain entry into the country. And quite obviously, you ensure that you have your travel papers ready, but what about your travel insurance? While Mexico does not place any compulsory mandate on getting travel insurance to travel through Mexico, it makes sense to get yourself the best Mexican travel insurance for your trip.
You should also be aware that if you travel to specific parts of Mexico such as Puerto Vallarta and Riviera Nayarit, you must get travel health insurance.
So, the answer to the question of whether you really need travel health insurance depends mostly on your destination and the nature of your trip. Let’s take a moment to think about the various reasons why you need a travel health insurance:
- It helps you get coverage for any unforeseen medical emergencies
- It helps you get good quality treatment from healthcare facilities
- It helps you deal with medical evacuation and support
- Your existing insurance will not likely not extend coverage to Mexico.
- We don’t expect to get sick on a trip, but when it happens, it pays to have insurance to back you up.
Cost of the travel health insurance in Mexico
So how much would travel health insurance for Mexico cost you? The cost of your travel health insurance will depend on the duration of your trip, the destination, and the coverage options you seek.
When you look into coverage options, you can seek additional coverage for medical evacuation, flyback assistance, and ambulance assistance as well. Another alternative to getting health insurance would be to club it with your Mexican auto insurance that you are mandated to get if you bring your vehicle into Mexico. Once you have finalized your requirements and budget, you should start gathering quotes from insurance vendors to compare and select the best travel health insurance that fits your needs.
Choose the best travel health insurance
Here are some criteria that you can use to make your selection:
- Cost of the insurance and corresponding coverage options provided
- The credibility of the insurance provider. Always work with highly rated (A and above) genuine insurance providers only. Do due diligence, research using review sites and customer testimonials before picking your vendor.
- 24/7 customer support. Look for multi-channel customer support and make sure they can connect with you in your preferred language.
- The list of hospitals they support. Some insurance providers could have limited options on healthcare facilities. The more choice you have, the better options you have for quality treatment
- Cancellation and reschedule policies.
Plan ahead, get quotes from multiple vendors on SmartGringo, compare your options and pick the best travel health insurance worth every penny you spend on it.