To all avid travelers planning their long-awaited Mexico trip, here is essential information you should not skip over. You need travel health insurance for your Mexican trip. Be it a trip for leisure or business. Your first priority has to be your safety and health. While not the panacea, the right travel health insurance can quickly help you overcome most of the health-related troubles and expenses you may have to face while in Mexico. And remember, your existing policy will not be able to cover your medical costs while you are in Mexico. If you are still wondering why you have to shell out some extra money for your insurance premium, let us give you the reasons why.
Why Do You Need Travel Health Insurance In Mexico?
- Depending on your destination, getting travel health insurance could be a mandate from the Mexican government. While it is not strictly required to enter Mexico, you are mandated to get travel health insurance if your trip involves places like Puerto Vallarta and Riviera Nayarit.
- The Mexican healthcare system Instituto Mexicano de Seguro Social provides medical care. It does not offer any medical care arrangement for foreigners, and hence foreign tourists will have to pay out of their pockets for any medical expenses they may have while in Mexico. While Mexican health care bills may be seemingly lesser than the US, many tourists often feel that the prices are inflated in popular tourist spots.
- Travel health insurance helps you manage any unexpected medical expenses and provides a comprehensive coverage plan
- Health insurance providers can help you find the best medical facilities and guide you through the whole process when seeking some medical assistance.
- You can also seek optional coverage for ambulance assistance, travel assistance to fly back to your home, and more.
- If your existing insurance does extend its coverage to Mexico, you may still face problems concerned with reimbursements, the limited duration for coverage, and so on.
As you can see, the best option you have at hand is to find a genuine Mexican health insurance provider who can help you get the best policy that fits your needs.
Choosing The Best Travel Health Insurance
Here are some considerations when choosing your insurance provider.
- Make sure you choose a genuine A and above-rated company that the Mexican government duly acknowledges. A good rating indicates a good trust score and proper infrastructure to support your needs
- They should be able to provide 24/7 customer support and be accessible via various modes of communication, including a toll-free number, email, and so on.
- Having support in the language of your preference will also come in handy to help get your queries solved quickly and smoothly
- Look into the coverage provided and optional coverage such as ambulance and flight back assistance. You may also have to look into the specific terms as to what is covered under the policy. For example, some policies may not cover injuries resulting from high-risk activities such as adventure sports.
- Look into referrals, customer testimonials, and review sites to get a good idea of the quality of the services provided by the insurance provider.
- Pay attention to the cancellation and reschedule policies they offer.
Get quotes on various plans on SmartGringo, compare the terms and make your final decision.