There is no doubt that Mexico is one of the most popular tourist destinations in the world. Thousands of people from neighboring countries like the United States and Canada visit Mexico every year to experience the Mexican road trip while driving. If you are also planning a road trip with your family or friends to Mexico, make sure to carry car insurance for the Mexico trip. Because driving across the southern borders without any coverage can be incredibly costly. Therefore the best way to ensure that your journey remains hassle-free is by purchasing car insurance for the Mexico trip beforehand. If you are still trying to decide whether you need Mexican car insurance or not. Read this article for more details about why you should get car insurance for a Mexico trip.
Why Do I Need Car Insurance For Mexico Trip?
Car insurance doesn’t just cover your car; it also protects you and your belongings in case of an accident. For this reason, you should always get car insurance for your trip to Mexico. Well, not only this but there are still many more reasons to issue auto insurance for your vehicle to drive safely in Mexico, which are as follows:
- Mandated by the Law: It is one of the most important reasons to have Mexican auto insurance. Therefore, whenever you plan to cross the southern borders with your car, make sure to carry Mexican auto insurance with you as it’s required to meet a “proof of financial responsibility” law. In case you are found without car insurance, the Mexican authorities can take legal action against you.
- Protects your liability: If you hit someone or someone’s property while enjoying driving in Mexico. In that case, you will be found legally liable for others’ damage and may have to face imprisonment and fines. Therefore, to deal with such legal procedures, your liability coverage will help you out by offering legal assistance. Moreover, it will also pay for the third party’s bodily injury and property damages.
- You Are Not Covered Under US Policy in Mexico: If you are already having auto insurance from your home country, it will not be recognized after crossing the Mexican border. Therefore, having car insurance for Mexico trips is essential to drive legally across southern borders.
- Offers peace of mind: When you don’t have any financial burden, you always feel light and have great peace of mind. And this peace of mind comes only after issuing Mexican auto insurance. Because you already know that even after any unexpected misfortune, you will be covered financially by your Mexican auto insurance policy.
- Provide medical assistance: While driving on the roads of Mexico, if you meet with an accident, then your Mexican auto insurance policy will give you emergency medical assistance. Also, it will pay for all the medical bills. However, it’s just an add-on feature. To enjoy this feature, you will need to add medical coverage manually while customizing your insurance policy.
Can I Get Temporary Car Insurance for Mexico Trip?
Yes, you can issue a one-day (temporary) to one-year car insurance policy for a Mexico trip. If you are planning to visit there only once or less often, you can opt for temporary car insurance. Temporary auto insurance is a coverage plan that provides you with coverage for the short term.
However, for those who cross the border frequently, a 6-month or 1-year policy may be a better deal for them than purchasing a short-term policy each time they travel. So if you are also among those visitors, then at SmartGringo, you can find these policies at very affordable prices.
Having car insurance for a trip to Mexico is important before crossing the southern border. Not only does it cover you in case of an accident, but it also protects against liability. Many people make the mistake of thinking that they don’t need auto insurance when they travel to Mexico.
If you’re stopped by the police while crossing the borders, they can take a look at your policy, and you can be fined and penalized by the authorities if your car doesn’t have it. Therefore, it’s crucial to get it to protect yourself and your loved ones in case of an accident.
The best way to make sure your car is covered is to buy a Mexican car insurance policy before you leave home. You can also get a quote on SmartGringo to get the best-quality car